Invasive plants in our neighborhood
Thank you to Ryan Ginsburg, Bill Shanbruch and Mary Wickham for presenting on behalf of the Invasive Plants Task Force to our members at the April 11, 2019 Civic Association meeting. Neighbors were interested to learn more about the invasive plants in our nearby parks and the impact our personal choices in outdoor plants can have on these parks.
Overview of Crooked Branch Ravine Park
Reedy Creek: Every Saturday at noon
Belle Isle: Every Thursday morning at 9:00 am
Chapel Island: Fourth Monday at 1:00 pm
Buttermilk Trail: Consult Calendar
Pony Pasture: Consult Calendar
Texas Beach: James River Hikers
For more information, visit jamesriverpark.org/invasives
Invasive Plant Resources
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation – Natural Heritage Program (prioritized list of invasive plants in VA): http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural-heritage/invspinfo
- Great resource for distinguishing non-native plants that look like some of our natives: https://www.nybg.org/files/scientists/rnaczi/Mistaken_Identity_Final.pdf
- National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife (great resource for identification of invasives): https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/midatlantic.pdf
- Blue Ridge PRISM Factsheets for specific invasive species: https://blueridgeprism.org/factsheets
- Download this presentation.